The family firm started out as James Ashtons & Sons and was
known as Mythop Nurseries and was founded in 1871. The site is now
occupied by St Bedes and St Peters school. A shop was opened in
1902 on the corner of Station Road to become one of the founder
members of the Florists Telegraph delivery association and eventually
Interflora. After World War 2 the nurseries were moved to the present
site on Mythop Road.
Three more florist shops have since been opened and trade alongside
the original Station Road florists. These are managed by Philip
Ashton, the nurseries and landscape operations are managed by Tim
Ashton. Both are great great grandsons of the founder and they
are in partnership with their father Alan Ashton. Over the years
the family have provided a good service to our valued customers
whilst remaining an integral part of the local community.
One of the notable plant finders for the Royal Horticultural Society,
Charles Mathies was at one time on the staff at Mythop Nurseries.
He bought back many beautiful and admired species of plants from
all over the world and in particular Asia. These plants include
Acer Palmatum, Harmamelis mollis (Chinese Witch Hazel) and many
In recent times we have been Southport Flower Show medal winners
for 3 consecutive years 1997, 1998 and 1999, all in different categories.
Including a silver medal in 1997 in our first year of entry.